Assessing Sports Injuries Risks
Do you really take sports injuries seriously. Regular exercise cuts your chances of dying early. You're less likely to develop diabetes, high blood pressure and certain cancers, among other diseases. It helps you maintain your independence as you get older.
But inevitably as more of us act on this advice we risk injury through sport. While official guidance about the benefits of exercise is easy to find, advice about sports injury is difficult to uncover. It isn't mentioned on the NHS Direct website, for instance.
Following the age-old maxim that prevention is better than cure it's worth bearing in mind the following before you take up strenuous or even mild exercise of any sort:
warm up - and down
stretch to ease into activity
take exercise designed to strengthen specific muscles
recognise your limits, eat well, drink enough water
To reduce external risk factors:
choose and use equipment correctly (including your shoes and the surfaces you run on)
avoid sudden changes in training methods, effort and intensity
be aware of environmental factors such as the weather and lighting; play within the rules - they are there to prevent injury.
If you are injured remember 'RICE':
Rest the injury, but - if you can - stay physically active to maintain general fitness. This stage is often called 'active rest'
Ice for pain relief and for prevention of further bleeding into surrounding tissues;
Compression to reduce swelling; and
Elevation - raise the injured limb above the level of your heart
The key to treatment is stopping the 'vicious cycle' by spotting the cause of the injury in the first place.
- Find the best ways to improve your fitness, from gyms to playing sport. Our guide will get you started.
- To buy or let? What type of mortgage is right for you? Check out our guide to all aspects of property.
- Check out our guide to all the latest sports news including latest scores, regional news and sports trivia. For all the sports news!
- How can the internet help you with DIY? Check out our guide to all the internet can offer, with buying the right tools to giving out advice and help.
- Passionate about sport? Want to find out more about your favourite team or player? Then check out our informative sports guides and articles and find out all you need to know.
- Physio room
Find out about sports injuries ranging from skiing and snowboarding through to running or football. Advice as well as comprehensive shop.
- CityPhysio - City of London
Chartered physiotherapists in the heart of London's square mile, treating neck and back problems, sports injuries, muscle and joint injuries
Offer a range of Physiotherapy treatments both traditional and alternative for both sports injuries and general musculo-skeletal conditions
- Maunsell McTimoney Chiropractic
Chiropractor offering gentle treatment for back pain, neck/shoulders pain from sports injuries/accidents particularly appropriate for children/elderly and pre/post pregnancy and general all round year
- Tuina Oriental Massage
Drug free relief from neck and shoulder pain · back pain and sciatica, sports injuries · headaches and stress
- The Pain Relief Centre
Covers all sorts of everyday aches and pains, from headache and sports injuries to toothache, colds and flu, promotional site for Nurofen, OTC pain relief tablets suitable for self-medication
- Add Your Website
Add your site to our guides and get more traffic that's relevant for you!
Site Search Product Search